Electric dangers can show up were you least expect them.

An over-matched extension cord, trying to force a three prong appliance to use a two prong socket, an outdated electrical panel are all possible sources of fire. When the plug or the cord feel very warm/hot, the chances are that you are pushing your luck.

In the case of the electrical panel that is pushed in servicing far more electricity than it was designed for, a fire will almost certainly ensue. Being that the panel is usually on the outside wall of the structure, it can be a very long time before you even realize that a fire is burning through your wall.

If you live in an older home, take the time to figure out if it might not be time for some additional power lines into the home. Perhaps it is even time to replace, or at least supplement, the existing electrical panel.